Finding a spiritual director is a very personal and spiritual quest. We suggest that a person seeking a spiritual director contact at least two spiritual directors to interview, if appropriate.
Here are the kinds of questions that you might consider asking yourself when finding spiritual directors to interview:
- What is your experience with working with a spiritual director? Is this a first experience of spiritual direction?
- What brings you to spiritual direction at this time in your life?
- Would you like to meet with a male or female?
- What spiritual affiliation or denomination would be most helpful for you?
- What time of day would best serve you for meetings?
The desire and search for the “right fit” is an important part of the process. Remember, it is up to you to choose your spiritual director wisely. Let them know what draws you to spiritual direction in this time in your life and notice how comfortable it is for you to tell your faith story. Listen carefully for the way the spirit is guiding you in your selection process.